The office of MP Gerard Kennedy has posted this call for a Director of Community Outreach:
Position Title: Director of Community Outreach
Reporting to Gerard Kennedy, MP, the Director of Community Outreach is responsible for engaging Parkdale-High Park community organizations and the public-at-large by acting as a liaison, organizing meetings, events and advocacy campaigns, and creating a variety of different types of communications.
Work with groups (local, business, resident/tenants, ethnic, religious, service, arts, issue oriented, etc.) in the community on federal issues; supervise and support a diverse volunteer team to: organize meetings, special events, and campaigns on specific issues; manage correspondence and appointments in the community; represent the MP at community functions that he cannot attend; create content for newsletters, websites and bulletins; achieve publicity in local and regional media.
· Provide analysis and recommendations to the MP on outreach strategies.
· Manage projects with a view to creatively optimize volunteer contributions at a variety of skill levels.
· Use advanced problem solving to form recommendations on developing situations on issues.
· Build and maintain relationships and act as liaison with community groups.
· Plan and organize community events, meetings and MP involvement with local initiatives.
· Create and support volunteer teams for standing programs and projects.
· Build and maintain a system of communicating to groups and members of the public both according to their specific interests and generally on over-arching issues.
· Maintain a professional administrative environment for the outreach program. This includes proper handling of confidential information and timely completion of tasks.
· Help set goals and track outcomes achieved for the public.
· Knowledge of political and public issues.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, proven problem solving, organizational and multitasking abilities.
· Supervisory and/or managerial experience.
· 3 to 5 years minimum work experience with progressive responsibilities.
· Understanding of media and of communications creative for print and web.
· Ability to work with and for a broad diversity of people.
· Strong work ethic.
· Demonstrated commitment to public interest and social justice.
· Sound judgment and tact.
· University degree or college diploma.
· Previous involvement with community of Parkdale-High Park and knowledge of community organizations.
· Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
· Experience in related fields, such as politics, community organizing, social services or communications.
· Event planning experience.
· Good listener with attention to details.
· Result oriented with proven initiative.
· French and/or other languages than English utilized in the riding.
· Driver's license and access to vehicle.
Hours of work: regular work week but with frequent flexibility for evening and weekend events
Training: will be provided.
How to apply: resume and cover letter by email with subject line “Director of Community Outreach” to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail or hand delivery to Mary Ng, Gerard Kennedy Community Office at 2849 Dundas Street West, Toronto, Ontario, M6P 1Y6.
Closing date: August 28th