Monday, August 16, 2010

200 Annette Street - Toronto Preservation Board On council agenda for Tuesday, August 17, 2010



200 Annette Street – Alteration to a Heritage Property and Intention to Designate, Part IV, Section 29, Ontario Heritage Act and Authority to Enter Into a Heritage Easement Agreement

Owner is seeking to have City Council approve the alterations to the property at 200 Annette Street, as designed by their Michael Hatch Designs Ltd.

from the city report...
Background

The property at 200 Annette Street (Attachment No. 2) contains the building formerly

known as the Annette Street Baptist Church. Constructed in 1888, the church was subject

to significant alterations in 1906 when the original west tower was replaced and the

building extended to the west. In 1920 a new entrance vestibule was added to the west

end of the structure.

Proposal

The proposed condominium development includes the rehabilitation of the church

building into eight residential units.

Alterations to the front (west) façade are minor and include:

new recessed entrance doors beneath existing windows at south side

new small window in centre panel of “blind belfry” in south west tower

replacement entrance doors

Alterations to the south (Annette Street) façade include:

new entrance doors within the masonry window opening of each bay by lowering the

sill to grade; retain the original window openings as transoms and original glazing

where possible

new skylights, matching the roof in colour, on two levels centrally located in each

bay of the south-facing roof; existing dormers to remain

new small window in centre panel of “blind belfry” in south west tower

Alterations to the east façade include:

new entrance door in existing window opening at south end by lowering window sill

construct 2nd and 3rd floor additions behind south east tower

Alterations to the north façade include:

new windows in wall, new dormer windows in roof, small decks and covered

parking, centred on existing bays and between existing buttresses

new skylights in north side of entrance vestibule roof

new window in entrance vestibule at basement level

grade level lowered to provide parking access at basement level

200 Annette Street – Alteration to a Heritage Property, Intention to Designate, Part IV, Section 29,

Ontario Heritage Act and Authority to Enter Into a HEA 5

Heritage Comments

The proposed alterations are acceptable in order to rehabilitate the church structure for

condominium use. The original structure is to be retained and conserved with alterations

to the north and east elevations. The addition of dormers and decks to the north elevation

is acceptable as it has limited physical and visual impact on the cultural heritage value of

the building. The front (west) and side (south) elevations will be conserved with minor

alterations.



The rehabilitation proposal is found to be in accordance with the Parks Canada Standards

and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places.

Reasons for Designation



Staff is requesting as a condition of approval that the property at 200 Annette Street be

designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act. The attached Heritage Property

Research and Evaluation Report (Attachment No. 4) outlines the historical, architectural

and contextual background of the property, and evaluates it according to the provincial

criteria prescribed for municipal designation (Ontario Regulation 9/06). The Etobicoke

York Community Preservation Panel provided historical information that assisted in the

research and evaluation of the site.



The Reasons for Designation (Statement of Significance) are found in Attachment No. 3.

The property at 200 Annette Street is worthy of designation for its cultural heritage value,

and meets the criteria for municipal designation prescribed by the Province of Ontario

under the three categories of design, associative and contextual value. Located on the

northeast corner of Annette Street and High Park Avenue, Annette Street Baptist Church

(1888, with additions in 1906 and 1920) has historical importance as an institution of

significance in the West Toronto Junction community, where it features a well-crafted

design influenced by Arts and Crafts styling and stands as a local landmark.

Background




Annette Street Baptist Church



Description

The property at 200 Annette Street is worthy of designation under Part IV, Section 29 of

the Ontario Heritage Act for its cultural heritage value, and meets the criteria for

municipal designation prescribed by the Province of Ontario under the three categories of

design, associative and contextual value. Located on the northeast corner of Annette

Street and High Park Ave, Annette Street Baptist Church (constructed in 1888, with

subsequent additions) is a single-storey church building. The site was listed on the City

of Toronto Inventory of Heritage Properties in 1998.

Statement of Cultural Heritage Value

Annette Street Baptist Church is an institution of historical importance to the West

Toronto Junction community. The area was developed in the 1880s after the Canadian

Pacific Railway opened its West Toronto freight yard, which attracted industry,

residential subdivisions, and institutions including churches. Following the incorporation

of the Village of West Toronto in 1884 (which became the Town of West Toronto

Junction, the Town of Toronto Junction and the City of West Toronto prior to its

annexation by the City of Toronto in 1909), Annette Street Baptist Church opened in

1889 and served the spiritual and social interests of the community for nearly a century.

While Annette Street Baptist Church incorporates elements of the popular architectural

styles of the late 1800s, particularly features from High Victorian Gothic Revival and

Romanesque Revival, its overall character recalls the Arts and Crafts influences of the

late 19th century. While local builder John Turner is credited with its construction, the

design of Annette Street Baptist Church resembles one developed for small-scale

churches by Toronto architect Edmund Burke and published in The Canadian Baptist

magazine in 1886. The exaggerated pitch and flared eaves of the roof were retained in

the design when the structure was extended to the west (1906), with the west entrance

(1920) displaying complementary Arts and Crafts detailing.

Contextually, as a church placed on a corner lot at a major intersection in the

neighbourhood, Annette Street Baptist Church is a landmark in the West Toronto

community. It is an integral part of the collection of churches that contributes to the

character of Annette Street as an institutional corridor where Annette Street Baptist

Church is historically, visually and physically linked to its surroundings.

Heritage Attributes

The heritage attributes of the property at 200 Annette Street are:

200 Annette Street – Alteration to a Heritage Property, Intention to Designate, Part IV, Section 29,

Ontario Heritage Act and Authority to Enter Into a HEA 10

The church building

[caption id="attachment_7147" align="aligncenter" width="363" caption="Historical photograph of Annette Street Baptist Church, prior to 1906 when the building was extended to the west and altered (Source: The Leader and Recorder (Winter 1996), 8)"][/caption]


The scale, form and massing of the rectangular plan that rises one extended storey

above a stone base with window openings, the application of red brick cladding with

brick, stone and wood detailing

The steeply-pitched gable roof with the flared eaves, gabled dormers and, at the

northwest corner, an extended brick chimney

At the southwest and southeast ends, the corner towers with pyramidal roofs, flared

eaves and, on the west tower, brick finials (which have been altered)

The east tower (1888), which contains the original entrance to the church and has

segmental-arched openings with decorative hood moulds

The round-arched openings, many of which are organized by brick buttresses and

contain leaded glass windows

The distinctive round window on the west façade

On the west façade facing High Park Avenue, the single-storey entrance porch with

its steeply-pitched gable roof with flared eaves, oversized wood brackets, halftimbering,

and monumental round-arched entry

The datestone, labelled “A.D. 1888 & 1906” (at the base of the west tower)

The placement and setback of the building on the corner lot

full report










No comments:

Post a Comment

iPad 205719